We seek to partner with charitable organizations to accomplish common objectives for improving the lives of people and communities.
Effectiveness, sustainability, strategic thinking, environmental awareness and collaboration are among the strengths we encourage in our grantees.
Unfortunately, our limited financial resources do not allow the Foundation to support all the grant requests that it receives. Applicants should not view a letter declining support as a judgment on the merits of the proposal.
Guidelines for Grantees
The Foundation generally adheres to the following:
- The geographic area of primary interest is Michigan.
- Individuals and private foundations are not eligible for grants, loans or scholarships.
- Grants are generally not made for conference attendance, travel, books, publications, films, tapes and other communications media. Educational conferences hosted by the applicant are eligible.
- Projects or organizations that are political or seek to influence legislation are not eligible.
- The Foundation encourages financial sustainability and self-sufficiency, and does not fund programs or organizations on an annual or ongoing basis.
- Organizations are not eligible for new funding until a year after receipt of the most recent grant payment.
The Foundation meets three times a year to consider grant applications. Completed electronic applications through this website must be received according to the following timetable. The Executive Committee meets prior to each Board meeting for an initial review of all grant requests.
Deadlines for Applications
- June 27, 2019 for the July 11 board meeting
- October 11, 2019 for the October 25 board meeting
- February 4, 2020 for the February 21 board meeting
How to Apply
In addition to questions on the website application form about the organization and the project to be funded, applicants will be asked to provide:
- A copy of current IRS determination letter demonstrating 501(c)(3) status.
- A list of the members of the Board of Directors and their affiliations.
- The project budget. The organization’s current annual operating budget.
- Audited financial statements for the most recent fiscal year. If none, a current IRS Form 990.
- The current annual report.
- Applicants may be asked to provide further information.
Click here for a grant application. It may be saved before completion and submittal.
Click here to access a grant application you have saved prior to submitting.